Back to job search
Our distinguished South Lincolnshire client is looking to recruit a Breeding Technician on a permanent basis.
Assist with the planning, preparation, planting, growing, and scoring of trials, and responsibility for glasshouse operations including transfer of breeding lines, plant husbandry, self/crossing of plants, seed multiplication, accurate record keeping, and other day to day activities to assist all teams within the R & D department, contributing to the success of the company’s breeding activities.
Responsibilities and Duties
•At all times, maintain strong Health & Safety culture and practices.
•Assist in the planning, organisation and preparation of breeding trials, stock seed and productions. Help with the drilling, planting and maintenance of trials.
•Assist with scoring of trials and selection of plants. Rogue, harvest and transfer breeding material from trials to glasshouses, for breeding, stock seed and productions.
•Assist with glasshouses work including sowing, growing and transplanting plants for breeding, stock seed and productions.
•Set-up glasshouses, cages, irrigation and feeding, monitor and maintain growth and health of plants, and maintain cleanliness and high levels of hygiene in glasshouses and tunnels. Maintain equipment and facilities associated with the department where necessary.
•Manage the production of stock seed and productions to produce high quality seed.
•Manage the pollination of breeding lines, stock seed and productions. Carry out bud pollination, crossing and bagging of plants. Organise and conduct the procurement and hatching of flies for pollination. Liaise with relevant department regarding the procurement of honey and bumble bees, where necessary.
•Manage the drying, harvesting, cleaning, weighing and packeting of stock seeds and productions.
•Keep accurate crop and maintenance records from both field trials and in the glasshouse and accurately input information onto database. Prepare relevant protocols and keep updated.
•Supervise temporary labour and other staff whilst they work for the department.
•Assist with other reasonable requests, in order to fulfil requirements of the R&D Department as required.
•Take a lead role in designated areas of responsibility. Working independently, without instruction, to ensure the task/function is completed consistently to a high standard.
•Attend regular meetings to discuss workload, share knowledge, identify and resolve problems and raise any health and safety issues. Actively contribute to the departmental goals.
• ESSENTIAL – A Level or equivalent qualification
• DESIRABLE – Degree in a relevant subject or equivalent by experience
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Experience working with plants, good knowledge of plant biology/husbandry
• Practical field experience is desirable
• Experience working in glasshouses, agriculture or horticulture
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, for internal and external contacts
• Excellent attention to detail and accurate record keeping
• Good literacy and numeracy skills.
• Good planning and organisation skills.
• Good level of computer literacy, including familiarity with Microsoft Office applications.
• Equally capable of working alone or as part of a team.
• An ability to work in an office environment, in the glasshouse and out in the field.
• An ability to take a lead role in designated areas of responsibility, remain calm and focused when working under pressure
• An ability to work independently, without instruction, to ensure the task is completed to a consistently to a high standard.
• An ability to handle routine tasks and procedures.
• Someone who understands the company values and proactively tries to live by them at work.
• Someone who takes health and safety seriously.
• A highly motivated individual, who is passionate about their subject.
• A physically fit individual who can apply themselves to a demanding work environment.
• Someone with a flexible approach to working hours to meet business/work demands.
• Someone who can actively share their knowledge and experience with others.
• Someone who is interested in continuous improvement.
• Someone who is open to giving and receiving constructive feedback and can encourage new ideas from team members.
• Someone who leads by example and encourages a safe and healthy work environment for their teams.
This role will require some business travel in the UK which may occur outside standard working hours. A full driving licence is required.
During peak times there will be an expectation that additional hours will be worked as required by prior agreement (e.g. evenings/weekends).
- Sales Procurement Administrator
Job location: Spalding Job salary: £25000 to £25000
Job title: Sales & Procurement Administrato...
- Foam Knife Operator
Job location: Bourne
Our Client based in Billingboroough is looking ...
- H&S Coordinator
Job location: Spalding
Our Spalding based client is looking to recruit...
By submitting your details you agree to our T&Cs